Recipe and photo credits: @candyco_
If you’ve ever been to Asian bakeries, you would have noticed how soft and pillowy the loaves and rolls of bread are. Our September Baking Challenge will teach you the secret to creating bread that stays fluffy and fresh longer!
The secret is in “tangzhong” – a roux or paste made from bread flour and liquid (usually water and/or milk), following a ratio of 1:5. For example, a roux using 20 grams of bread flour will need liquid of 100 grams.
To make tangzhong, flour and liquid are mixed over heat, until it turns into a thick paste. This method gelatinizes starches in the flour, giving it structure to allow more liquid to be absorbed vs the regular baking method. What does this mean? There’s more moisture in the dough! And what does more moisture in the dough mean? Many good things:
- Bread stays fresh longer. Three, four days on, and bread is still soft!
- Dough with tangzhong is easier to work with, since part of the liquid is already within the dough’s structure. Less mess and sticky hands.
- Most importantly, the bread comes out soft, springy, and fluffy!
This bread is SO GOOD and SO SOFT. Seriously, eat a slice on its own first to appreciate how tasty this is! It is perfect for a quick breakfast or snack, especially for you bakers with kids on distance learning.
Head on over to this page to get the recipe and learn techniques from making tangzhong, to shaping the dough into the classic Japanese mountain-shaped bread. Bake with Baumann Living, have yummy Japanese Milk Bread, and even get a chance to win a two (2) Tylr Ice Cream Makers in our random draw! Yes, we love you that much!!
Join the September Baking Challenge and get to a chance to win one of two (2) Tylr Ice Cream Makers. Here’s how to join:
- Make our Japanese Milk Bread. Take a photo of it together with your Baumann Living Bread Maker and upload it on your Facebook and Instagram pages on or before September 30, 2020.
- Make sure to tag us! IG @BaumannLiving and FB Baumann Living Bread Maker Recipe Exchange, so we can see your entries.
- Don’t forget to use the hashtags #BaumannLiving and #BaumannLivingBakingChallenge.
- Every person who submits a photo following the complete directions will be entered into a random giveaway for a chance to win. Baumann Living Baking Challenge is open only to residents in the Philippines.
- By entering the challenge, you allow Baumann Living to repost your entries because we’d love to brag about our great bakers!
Before we go, we’d like to share some lovely photos of Lemon Pound Cake that our bakers made. It rained nearly everyday in August, so we hope this bright and zesty cake gave you some sunshine at home! Thank you to all who joined our August Baking Challenge!
We look forward to seeing your entries for the September #BaumannLivingBakingChallenge!
Take care, stay safe, and happy baking to all!
Your Baumann Living Family XOXO
Are you up to the challenge?? Hoping to see your posts very soon!
Not yet a member? Click here to join the Baumann Living Bread Maker Recipe Exchange group.